CHATBOX
CHATBOX LINK || NO SPAM OR ABUSE!

calls me home
AN ANIMANGA/VIDEO GAME ROLEPLAY

THE GODDESS WORLD IS CURRENTLY IN YEAR ONE, MONTH TWELVE
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Closed
New Poll

A Brand New Chapter, Black
Varric Tethras
 Posted: Nov 24 2017, 05:51 PM

Official
OCCUP:
Viscount
ALIGN:
Neutral Good
SPECIES:
Dwarf

Varric Tethras
© Jen // CURRENTLY Offline

So... this was a thing.

Varric had managed to get out of the Deep Roads on his own, alive and with barely a scratch. He knew he was lucky. He could've died down there. Or gotten eaten. Or worse - afflicted with the darkspawn taint and doomed to live as a crazy, drooling ghoul. He would rather have a spider wrap him up and suck out his insides.

Thankfully, none of those things happened. But on the surface, Varric quickly discovered that he was nowhere near the Free Marches, so he ended up wandering until he found a mountain with a strange building at the foot of it.

And so, here he was. Some weird shit was definitely going on.

The dwarf sat at a table in the Pokemon Center, leafing through yet another book. The nurse had been nice enough to let him go through all the reading material she had, and so the table's surface was cluttered with piles of books and maps of all kinds. While he did find out where exactly the Deep Roads had vanished to around a year ago, he wasn't thrilled to end up in the same place as it. And there didn't seem to be a way home.

But at least it couldn't possibly get any worse. Could it?

No, no. Following that line of thinking would only invite something worse to happen. That sort of thing happened all the time in stories.
PM
^
Black
 Posted: Nov 25 2017, 11:43 AM

Wanderer
OCCUP:
Pkmn Trainer
ALIGN:
Lawful Good
SPECIES:
Human

Black
© Jessica // CURRENTLY Offline

Black's bicycle hit a rock and the wheel almost seemed to vibrate as it threatened to be knocked off course and off the dirt path Black was following. But, he was an expert when it came down to bike riding. He just needed to hold his handle bars steady, and he was back on course as if nothing had happened.

Which was good because he had a bag hanging off his handle bars with stuff in it that the nurse at the Pokemon Center had specifically requested he pick up for her when he made his trip into Neo Domino City. And, Black was nothing if not helpful. He wouldn't want to disappoint her by not bringing in the stuff he had promised to get.

Besides, going back to the Pokemon Center at the foot of Mt. Moon was something he liked doing. It was the place from his own world that had made it here. Going there always felt a little bit like going home, even if it wasn't in Unova and he had never been to Kanto.

Black called greetings to Pokemon trainers as he passed them by, coasting on his bike until he reached the Center. He stepped off on one side, putting his foot down only then to make the bicycle stop. It was with quick movements that he got his bicycle folded up and put into his backpack. Grabbing the bag by the handles, he let himself into the Center.

"Hey!" he called, cheerily. He was greeted by some other trainers there too. He went to the counter and placed the bag there before his eyes were drawn to someone who seemed to have all of the Center's books in it. He glanced at the nurse. "New guy?" She nodded.

That always fascinated Black. He was interested in the places people came from, but he also liked being helpful. He knew it was hard to get used to a place like this.

Bidding goodbye to the nurse, Black made his way over to the table. "Hiya," he said, though he didn't sit down. He didn't want to mess up what the guy had going on there.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Varric Tethras
 Posted: Nov 25 2017, 12:15 PM

Official
OCCUP:
Viscount
ALIGN:
Neutral Good
SPECIES:
Dwarf

Varric Tethras

Alright, time to sum up what he had learned so far. This world was a mash-up of pieces of other worlds, including the Deep Roads for whatever dumb reason. There were two continents and an ocean filled with things that liked eating people. Magic was a thing here. So were demons, dragons, werewolves, unicorns and a bunch of other kinds of creatures, some friendly, some not. And the people in one certain city spent a lot of time and money fussing over some kind of card game.

So he was off to a great start. Sort of.

At the sound of a voice, Varric looked up from his current book - a very thick hardcover detailing the history of Dunwall. There were a few interesting points, but most of it was kind of boring. History, when written by boring people who had no sense of adventure, often was. If you want to write a history book, you needed to balance the stuff that made people fall asleep with stuff that grabbed their attention. Otherwise, readers weren't going to stick around to actually learn anything.

The guy greeting him was a kid, dressed in clothes that would've looked strange to Varric if he hadn't spent so much time in Orlais. Not to mention all that research he had done on the fashion there.

"Hey there, kid," the dwarf replied, setting aside the heavy history book. He had enough of that one. "You're a Trainer, right?" Varric had seen others as they came and left the Center. Them and the quirky critters that they called Pokemon.
PM
^
Black
 Posted: Nov 25 2017, 08:14 PM

Wanderer
OCCUP:
Pkmn Trainer
ALIGN:
Lawful Good
SPECIES:
Human

Black

Black thought that maybe the guy was a dwarf. He had met a few dwarves in his travels. A lot of them were hanging around Dunwall, though Black didn't do there very often. He had seen one with a stand on the Citadel in the marketplace. He had stood out from all the bright technology that surrounded him while wearing the dull brown leathers that were probably more characteristic of where he was from. To be fair, it made him stand out and draw people towards him. It was a smart marketing strategy.

For a moment, Black was surprised that he had recognized that he was a trainer. But, then it dawned on him. Duh. He was in a Pokemon Center and he was dressed for traveling. That kind of screamed Pokemon trainer to anyone who knew what that even was.

"Yeah, I am," Black said with a nod. "And, you're a dwarf. Judging by your style of dress I'd say you're from..." He trailed off as he dug through his brain, trying to remember the name of the location he was thinking of. "Thedas," he finally said with certainty. He had learned a lot in his travels about the different places that their world's locations had come from. Thedas was where the Deep Roads were from.

The Deep Roads... were an interesting place.

Black didn't want to go there. Not unless he absolutely had to. He wouldn't even want to go there anyways.

"Mind if I sit?" he asked, indicating the seat opposite of the dwarf.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Varric Tethras
 Posted: Nov 26 2017, 10:43 AM

Official
OCCUP:
Viscount
ALIGN:
Neutral Good
SPECIES:
Dwarf

Varric Tethras

Smart kid. Or, one who just happened to travel around this place a lot. Varric assumed that it was both. He looked like a both to him.

"Sure," he nodded, "knock yourself out." Varric didn't see any reason to say no. If the kid wanted to sit there, he could sit there. The dwarf was only borrowing the table, and he wasn't doing anything that was so important that it needed his complete focus. Besides, he did want to have a chat with someone who had been here for a while. Easier to get info that way compared to going through all these books.

"Bianca and I don't mind the company. Right, Bianca?" He patted the crossbow, which was sitting folded up on the seat beside him. Even if he wasn't going anywhere, Varric always had her within reach, just in case. Never know who was going to walk in through the front door. That seemed to apply here even more than it did back in Kirkwall.
PM
^
Black
 Posted: Nov 30 2017, 10:48 AM

Wanderer
OCCUP:
Pkmn Trainer
ALIGN:
Lawful Good
SPECIES:
Human

Black

He didn't mind Black sitting there? Cool. Black slid into place on the seat opposite the dwarf, careful not to knock anything that was on the table over. He took his backpack off and placed it on the seat next to him. He used to use a mailbag a lot of the time back home, but he carried even more things with him now and had upgraded himself to a backpack. And, taking that backpack off meant he could sit easier and more comfortably in the seat, too.

Bianca? Black's eyes traveled when the dwarf mentioned a Bianca, though Black hadn't seen anyone else around. It was then he noticed the crossbow. His crossbow... had a name? That wasn't unusual, right? Black used to name all his stuffed Pokemon when he was a small child. He still had some of them his room back home, and he remembered their names as well. It wasn't an exclusive child thing either. Some adults named their cars. Heck, Holland's airship had a name. It was a common thing to name boats and stuff. Why couldn't someone name their crossbow?

"Your crossbow's named Bianca?" he said out loud. "That's cool. I have a friend named Bianca." He hadn't seen her since he came here, but he was sure she was doing alright. Bianca could be a little clumsy and air-headed at times, but she was still smart. She knew how to take care of herself.

"I'm Black, by the way," he said, reaching over the table to offer his hand.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Varric Tethras
 Posted: Nov 30 2017, 04:19 PM

Official
OCCUP:
Viscount
ALIGN:
Neutral Good
SPECIES:
Dwarf

Varric Tethras

"Varric Tethras," the dwarf replied, reaching forward to shake the boy's hand. The kid had a firm grip. A confident Trainer, maybe. Had a lot of adventures, and even more waiting for him down the road. The type of person who would've been a protagonist in stories from the Pokemon world, seeing how Trainers were respected there. "Viscount of Kirkwall... which feels like it carries less weight now, considering we're nowhere near the Free Marches. I also happen to be a businessman, storyteller and rogue companion to heroes up against impossible odds."

And they really were impossible. But Hawke was... well, Hawke. And the Inquisitor had a knack for creating miracles. Varric had gotten to witness the sort of trials both had to go through in their respective journeys - they were no walks in the park.

"Just when I thought things had finally settled down a little, your Goddess here decided to yank me out of my bed." Which, Varric learned, was completely normal. Of course, everyone back home in the keep was probably freaking out right now, but he wasn't going to complain to a deity. That was how people ended up spending eternity as monsters. Or statues.
PM
^
Black
 Posted: Dec 2 2017, 09:22 PM

Wanderer
OCCUP:
Pkmn Trainer
ALIGN:
Lawful Good
SPECIES:
Human

Black

Varric was an interesting name. Black wasn't sure if he had ever heard it before, but he had ran into a lot of people while traveling around Unova and this world that it was hard to remember everyone if he only met them once. There were a lot of Pokemon trainers he had met who he had battled and then never seen again. That was one of the things about being a Pokemon trainer.

But, the dwarf was also a viscount, which sounded really cool, though Black wasn't entirely sure what was meant by that. It probably meant he was some sort of lord or something, right? He wasn't sure. Thedas seemed to be medieval to him. Medieval places had lords and stuff in them.

"Yeah, the Goddess tends to pull people in whenever she feels like it," Black said with an understanding nod. "I've been here for almost a year now." Black had been in that bunch who had come here in the first month before anything had even been figured out. It had been a whirlwind of a month as people tried to figure out how to make things work. Even things that had felt simple and everyday like television had to be reworked so networks could air across the continent and not just in their designated cities.

"I'm guessing you just got here then?" Black asked.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Varric Tethras
 Posted: Dec 3 2017, 12:28 AM

Official
OCCUP:
Viscount
ALIGN:
Neutral Good
SPECIES:
Dwarf

Varric Tethras

It must've been some year, from what Varric had so far heard and read. And he arrived just in time to see the end of this year, along with the beginning of the next. He wasn't sure if that meant he was lucky... or not. While he did miss all the shit that happened earlier in the year, now he had to get settled and figure this world out while a lot of people have already done that. At least he could ask people if he needed to find out about something - he wasn't above asking total strangers for help.

"Yeah. Woke up in the Deep Roads a few hours ago." That had been a shock. Varric had been wondering where the Deep Roads had gone, then he woke up in the middle of them for no apparent reason. It hinted at the kind of sense of humor the Goddess had. Couldn't she have just dropped him off in a city? "Now I have to make sense of everything, as well as see what strings I can pull. I'm assuming that the Dwarven Merchants Guild has set themselves up somewhere."

It was how they operated. The change in scenery wasn't going to stop the guild. They would just set things up again and ensured that any members currently on the planet were informed. Then it was business as usual - meetings and agreements and arguments. With him here, the usual complaints that the head of House Tethras wasn't bothering to show up for meetings could now continue.
PM
^
Black
 Posted: Dec 7 2017, 02:32 PM

Wanderer
OCCUP:
Pkmn Trainer
ALIGN:
Lawful Good
SPECIES:
Human

Black

"Ick, the Deep Roads." Black had a short list of places he wanted to avoid as much as possible. The Deep Roads happened to be one of those places. It wasn't the sort of place that a Pokemon trainer should have been traveling around, and he wanted to avoid it if he could. Even if he wasn't scared, he didn't want to risk his Pokemon, or himself, catching the taint, which was a complete possibility if he ever went over there.

But, if Varric was from Thedas, then he knew about the Deep Roads. Maybe he had been there before, even. At least, that meant that he was from somewhere where he knew about the Deep Roads and he was more prepared for them than other people who had had the misfortune of winding up there when they had woken up in this world.

There was a new question now. Where was the Dwarven Merchants Guild? Black didn't know off the top of his head. He wasn't the sort of person who spent a whole lot of time shopping, and a merchants guild was not the sort of thing he often associated with. He had a few ideas, though.

"I've seen guilds in Edge," he said before clarifying by saying, "Midgar-Edge. More people live in the Edge part. Dunwall, maybe? Neo Domino City might be hard to set a guild of all things up in." Thedas was at odds with Neo Domino in style, from what Black understood. "There might be others, but those ones are my guess."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Varric Tethras
 Posted: Dec 7 2017, 09:14 PM

Official
OCCUP:
Viscount
ALIGN:
Neutral Good
SPECIES:
Dwarf

Varric Tethras

"If the Deep Roads can be summed up in a single word, ick definitely fits the bill," Varric agreed. "I'd also use suck. Shit works, too." Nothing good came from the Deep Roads. Just look at what it brought to Thedas. Taint, darkspawn, Archdemons, the Blight. Deepstalkers and giant spiders. Lyrium, in both the normal and red varieties - the normal one alone could mess someone up real bad. Just look at the templars when they were experiencing lyrium withdrawals. The red stuff was capable of really screwing people over without even being ingested.

Needless to say, some people had been overjoyed when they discovered that the Deep Roads had suddenly vanished from Thedas. Varric had worried about the implications. As it turned out, he had been right to worry. This whole world was messed up in its own way.

But he was stuck here now. Better make the most of it.

Black had an idea of where the Dwarven Merchants Guild could be found. Midgar-Edge, which Varric had seen on a map. Dunwall, the subject of the boring history book he had just put down. Neo Domino City - the card game city - might not have it, but who knows? Dwarves on the surface were adaptable. Also stubborn as hell.

"Might be in more than one place." Varric picked up the map sitting on a pile of books, unrolled it and spread it out in the space at the center of the table. "Back home, the guild had branches in different cities." Since he was on the Western Continent, Edge ought to be the first place he checked. "I'll find it eventually, though. Or they'll find me. They'll somehow bury me in letters even before I can find a place to stay."
PM
^
Black
 Posted: Dec 13 2017, 07:37 PM

Wanderer
OCCUP:
Pkmn Trainer
ALIGN:
Lawful Good
SPECIES:
Human

Black

Black didn't comment anymore on the Deep Roads, though he nodded in agreement. All the words that Varric was using to describe them were thoroughly believable to him, even if he avoided going to it as much as was humanly possible. It was just an unpleasant place. He wasn't sure why they needed to exist at all, though he had read it in a book that the darkspawn were some sort of punishment to mankind meddling in things that didn't concern them.

Black felt bad over that. He couldn't figure out what could be so awful that all of humanity was punished for hundreds of years because of the actions of a small few. Had it been a god of some sort who done such a thing? Black wouldn't believe in a god like that. Someone who decided to punish millions of people because a few people angered them wasn't a god worthy of being followed.

"Those are the cities I'd place most of my money on if I was a betting sort of person," Black said with a nod. He wasn't a betting person. Like at all. Black didn't think gambling was a good thing. "If all those places are out of luck, try somewhere out of the blue. Like Thieves' Landing." He didn't want to make the Merchants' Guild that Varric was in sound shady, but he had watched a lot of medieval movies back in the day and he knew the merchants weren't always the most well meaning of people. In fiction, they had a tendency to put money above everything. Truth in television, right?

He did chuckle over Varric's letter comment though. It sounded farfetched, but he would believe it if it happened.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Varric Tethras
 Posted: Dec 14 2017, 10:40 PM

Official
OCCUP:
Viscount
ALIGN:
Neutral Good
SPECIES:
Dwarf

Varric Tethras

"Thieves' Landing sounds more like a place the Carta would be," Varric replied, but he did check the map to see where it was. All the way out on the other side of the world, in an area that looked... marshy. Great. "But if they can make a profit there, the guild will be there. Wouldn't pass up the opportunity, unless things look really bad."

Like, worse than Kirkwall bad. The guild was still there, after all, even after all the shit that had happened.

At least the city was back to normal now. On the surface. Some scars take more than just a few years and a lot of money, effort and reconstruction to heal. Some might not even heal at all.

"No matter how it looks," the dwarf then added, sitting back in his seat, "I'm going to have to do some traveling." Not really his favorite part of going anywhere, especially in places inhabited by all sorts of things that wanted to kill travelers. But Varric might as well go out and see the world while he had the opportunity to do so. There were still a lot of things that he wanted to learn about it, and he'd learn about it better by actually going out and seeing it, rather than sitting on his ass and having someone bring info to him.

...which he often did, but Thedas and its people were familiar to him, and he knew how to read them. Here, he had to learn about the world first before he was able to understand it.
PM
^
Black
 Posted: Dec 18 2017, 04:34 PM

Wanderer
OCCUP:
Pkmn Trainer
ALIGN:
Lawful Good
SPECIES:
Human

Black

Black was happy he was able to help Varric out. Maybe the dwarf would be able to find who he was looking for. The merchants' guild, as he had called them. A guild shouldn't have been as hard as a single person to locate, which was normally who a lot of people were looking for. Black hoped he found them in a reasonable amount of time.

"You can take the train if you want to make searches between places on this continent go faster," Black said. His memory of what he knew about Thedas told him that it wasn't likely that Varric knew what a train even was. But, it was pretty easy to figure out how to use it. One paid for passage to the place they wanted to go, then they got passage.

Granted, the train couldn't take you across the ocean to the other continent or the Archipelago, but it could get you to most places here on the Western Continent, which made traveling here so much simpler.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Varric Tethras
 Posted: Dec 19 2017, 10:57 AM

Official
OCCUP:
Viscount
ALIGN:
Neutral Good
SPECIES:
Dwarf

Varric Tethras

"That snake-like thing that rides along the tracks. That's the train, right?" Varric had read about it. It was a string of carriages pulled along the rails by some kind of machine. Many worlds had them, but there was only one that crisscrossed this continent, meaning he would have to wait until it made its stop near Mt. Moon again.

Which was fine - Varric had plenty to do while he waited. What bothered him was that there was only one train. Why just one? Wouldn't it be better to have a few more, like in some of these other worlds? It would be more efficient, at the very least. People wouldn't have to wait as long.

Oh, well. He wasn't about to complain about the Goddess' choices. Not what he was here for.

"And while I'm at it, I guess I'll see if I can find my editor and publisher. Or find other ones, if they aren't here." Varric needed something to do with his time besides the usual business ventures, and he bet this world could appreciate his works. "This place sounds like it could use a good serial or two. Finding a new publisher shouldn't be too much of a problem... I might even find one who's a little more honest about sales. But finding a new editor who's as good as the one I had might be a little more tricky."

Varric looked at Black. "You wouldn't happen to know someone who's a real stickler for grammar, do you?" So far, this kid knew all kinds of things about this world. Might as well ask.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Closed
New Poll

SKIN BY WHAT KATY DID @ SHINE. CFS BY BLACK, CODE TAG BY JAWN, CBOX TOGGLE BY KISMET.

Affiliates

RPG-D Endless Fight F/BC
Prisoners of Fate

OHaV